11.09.2010

uncharted.

Recently I have been listening to Sara Bareilles on repeat. Her songs speak to me. She always finds the right words and puts them into beautiful sentences. I don't have a favorite song. I find that the mood I'm in usually determines that for me. Momentarily "Uncharted" is playing in my head...and has been all morning (hence this post). Specifically the following line:

"Compare, where you are to where you want to be, and you'll get nowhere."

In my current state, everything I hoped for and planned for this fall, did not work out. Instead, I am babysitting, subbing, and working toward my masters degree. I thought I had the perfect plan, I had figured it all out. Wrong. In the last couple of months I have continually compared where I am to where I want to be, or where I should have been. Where is that getting me? Nowhere. I'm stuck with "what ifs".

My new challenge is to quit comparing and to find joy in the here and now. A lesson that I come back to every few years. Maybe this wasn't my plan, maybe this is where I am supposed to be regardless, maybe He has the perspective that I could never have, and thus here I am: spending my days with kids of all ages, with a continual research design and educational theory in the back of my mind.


Instead of focusing on where I want to be, I want to find joy in my current circumstances and the blessings that exist there, then maybe I'll get somewhere. But for now, it's all uncharted.

0 comments: